and then there were two… weeks left

This fifth week has been very eventful to say the least. I have continued to make samples in preparation for the desired characterization tests. A graduate student ran the characterization tests for me and sent the data files. I used excel to make the plots and interpret the data. I used ChemDraw, a drawing toolkit, to create a schematic for an overview of my research project.

Schematic new

The figure shows how we will transform our starting material into reduced graphene oxide functionalized with nanoparticles. I am currently on the last step where magnetite nanoparticles are mixed with rGO for functionalization. Once this is done, several characterization tests will be run to assess the successfulness of the experiments. In my Friday presentation, I summarized most of what I have been working on and also included characterization data for graphene oxide and the magnetite nanoparticles. I have IR data for both samples, indicating which functional groups are found in the sample. For the nanoparticles, I also have Brunauer-Emmett-Teller (BET) data, which gives the surface area per gram of material. Below, thermo gravimetric analysis (TGA) shows how the mass of the sample changes at various temperatures. We are interested in the potential application of magnetite nanoparticles in extremely hot environments and this data shows the temperatures at which the sample begins to decompose.

TGA new

My parents drove to El Paso to visit for part of the weekend. It was really nice to catch up with them and tell them about all of my experiences here during the internship. We went shopping and ate at the Mesa Street Grill afterwards. The place was pretty nice and they prepared one of my favorite deserts, bananas foster, table side.

Bananas Foster Cook

Bananas Foster Done

We also enjoyed a few beverages at the Hilton Garden Inn minibar. The bartender recommended that we try this cucumber drink that is apparently popular in the El Paso area. It comes with this spicy chile powder on the rim, called Tajín.

Cucumber drinkkk

After my parents left Saturday morning, I had the chance to finally put my passport to use. I went to Juarez for the first time with some of my coworkers and had the chance to test out a couple Spanish phrases I learned. Although the people, places, and atmosphere were all very different, I thoroughly enjoyed the experience.