The Bloom of a Beautiful Friendship

The first three days of this week really saw things pick up. Not in terms of quantity, but quality. So much so, it was difficult getting to this blog. As the laboratory tasks become more imperative, focus and patience becomes more important. The Graphene Oxide samples underwent the first stages of cleaning. I had to dispose of the supernatant and wash with HCl multiple times. This required a steady hand and a lot of waiting. However, your mind can never truly rest. I found these down times are perfect for recollection and planning your next actions efficiently. It was actually quite exciting for me to have time to sit and wait. The waiting periods gave me time to contemplate certain concepts and ideas to improve my proficiency.

Update: There are two types of Graphene Oxide(GO). Each used a different synthesis method. 4 days were required to allow the chlorine gas to evolve from the GO. The synthesis of GO included sulfuric acid, nitric acid, and potassium chlorate; therefore, in order to get the best GO, those substances needed to be removed. That is where the washing with HCl comes in. The HCl washing is complete. Now, I will continue cleaning with nanopure water until the supernatant has a pH matching with the nanopure water, indicating that the only substances present are nanopure water and GO.