Solar MD

Week one at Rice, has been amazing. My roommate and I have met some international students and have been traveling Houston on our spare time. Other than my time visiting the city I got to meet Dr. Qilin Li as well as her research team. The project that I will be working on this summer is referred to as solar MD, or more formally solar membrane distillation. I will be working with the time to make a large scale model of a membrane distillation system that will be fully functional under the sun. Also when I meet Dr. Li an told her that I am getting a concentration in Computational mechanics she recommended working on COMSOL and making computational models that will test different types of membrane characteristics and see how they work. So my days here at Rice will be 60% working on the large scale solar MD system, and 40% working on COMSOL. This past week has consisted of me reading everything and anything on MD systems, as well as trying to configure the mathematical models for COMSOL. This upcoming week I will be getting my lab safety training and officially start working on the solar MD project. Monday morning should be busy but I’m ready!

Cheers,

Evelyn