10 Days (Part Two)

I will now proceed to talk about the actual ten days I have spent in Blantyre, since the last blog only included my travel here and my first day here. But first I will talk about why I am here.

This summer I have traveled to Blantyre, Malawi, where I will be working on a water treatment project, we will be building a system in one of the communities around Blantyre, which will provide people with clean drinking water, we will take samples before and after they go through the system to see how reliable this system is to treat water. We will also try to implement Moringa Oleifera, a seed which is abundant in most parts of Africa, into this system.

Back to what I have actually done the ten days I have been here, I will begin saying that I have met so many people, and every single one of them has been so nice and reachable. Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday I did not really start anything since Brock, the other NEWT intern that traveled to Blantyre, was not here, these days I just went around the Polytechnic meeting professors and technicians, and looking for equipment and laboratories in which I could conduct research in. I talked to the chemistry and biology departments in the school, which will allow me to use their equipment to analyze water samples. An instrument which we will be allowed to use is the Atomic Absorption Spectrometer, which determines the concentration of a particular element in a sample. I am very excited to use it since I have never used one before.20160603_141919 When Brock got here is when the project actually started rolling, we have most of our experimental protocols down and ready to go, this Wednesday we will be traveling to several communities around Blantyre to see in which one is most adequate to build the system in.

Also look at how pretty Malawi is.20160605_105803